Timothy Duke, a shoemaker from Chiddingstone Hoath, established a ball making factory in Penshurst following the formation of the first county cricket club in Sussex in 1809 and moved to Chiddingstone Causeway in 1841.
George IV granted them a Royal Warrant in 1820 and they were awarded a medal at the Great Exhibition of 1851. The last Duke involved in the company died in 1926, but the business continues as British Cricket Balls Ltd and is based at Beltring.
The cricket balls still carry the name of Duke. This ball is part of a permanent display at the museum on the making of cricket balls.
EDEVT:L37.1 | On display in the Buttery
Dukes World Cup cricket ball 1999